Monday, May 6, 2013

To Honor a Teacher

Both of my kids had the same wonderful teacher for 1st grade.  This is my Joy's last year at her elementary school and I wanted to honor this teacher by giving her a quilt.  I hope to have it finished and give it to her on the last day of school, May 30.  

This teacher was one who had a gift for connecting with each student and finding a way into their little minds and hearts.  She brought out the best in her students and gave them confidence.  Depending on the day, the hour, the moment, she was their friend, or mentor, or "mommy", or teacher.  She filled whatever gaps she needed to to help her students grow and learn.  It would have been easy to overlook both of my kids because they were quiet (back then...).  She treated them with kindness and respect and truly cared about them.  She took the time to get to know them.  She gave them her time, talent, and love...she was a wonderful gift from God to our family.

So for Leslie's quilt, I've chosen "Soul Blossoms" fabric by Amy Bulter that I purchased from Southern Fabric.  Not only is the fabric pretty, the name sort of describes her way with children.  The pattern I'm using is "Flowers in the Sunshine" from Sweet Jane's.

Here's the work in progress...





No comments:

Post a Comment